The Overstrand Association for Persons with Disabilities’s purpose is to raise the quality of life of persons with disabilities by assisting them to achieve their optimum social, emotional and functional level to become “able” within their community.
Services are open to all persons with disabilities in the Overstrand area. However, due to staffing constraints, the focus area for service delivery is the Greater Hermanus area which includes rural areas and informal settlements such as Zwelihle, Mount Pleasant and Hawston.
Our organisation aim to do the following:
- To protect and promote the interest of all disabilities
- To promote and/or support measures which will prevent or reduce the occurrence of disabling conditions and their effects
- To promote, undertake and/or support such accessible and equitable community based medical, educational, vocational, social, recreational, rehabilitation and social services and facilities as may be required by persons with disabilities to achieve independence.
- To promote and\or undertake activities which will improve the physical and social environment, including public facilities, and or to remove those person with physical disabilities into the community
- To establish, maintain a social work service, special care centre and workshops for persons with disabilities and promote the equitable distribution of these services
- To educate and raise awareness amongst the general public and encourage a greater concern, understanding and awareness among the general public about disability
- To network and form strategic partnerships with other role-players, co-operate and work in partnership with other local welfare and other community based organisations in the planning of and maintaining projects which might benefit persons with disabilities
- To ensure sound governance of the Association and its departments
- To influence the decision of local authorities in planning the environment to the advantage of disabilities
- To promote the availability of adequate skilled personnel, assistive devices and other such resources as are needed to achieve the above objectives